Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google updates quality raters guidelines with details around non-English language web pages
Aug 3, 2017 by Barry Schwartz
Google made some small tweaks to their quality raters guidelines on July 27, 2017. The previous update, on March 14, 2017, was much larger.
- Google Shopping shakes up mobile product card unit ads with swipeable carousel, filters
Aug 3, 2017 by Ginny Marvin
Stores are shown in cards instead of a list.
- Designing content for the mobile-first index
Aug 3, 2017 by Patrick Stox
Your mobile pages will soon become the default versions used in Google search rankings. How can you make sure they provide good content that’s easy to read on a smaller screen? Columnist Patrick Stox has some ideas.
- Top 6 tips for SEO for SaaS
Aug 3, 2017 by Janet Driscoll Miller
Do you handle SEO for a software as a service (SaaS) company? Columnist Janet Driscoll Miller discusses how to address some of the unique challenges of this space with six helpful tips.
- Not ad creep: Images labeled ‘Product’ in Google Images part of new badges markup
Aug 3, 2017 by Ginny Marvin
The “Product” badges have the look of an ad, but are powered by rich markup schema.
- Dolores del Río Google doodle celebrates iconic film star from Golden Age of Mexican cinema
Aug 3, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
Del Río is credited with being the first Latin American actress to become a major Hollywood film star.
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- 60% of SMBs report half or more of online sales come from Amazon, Jet & eBay [Survey]
- 16 common on-site SEO mistakes you might be making right now
- How to bridge the gap between brand and direct response marketing
- The CMO audit series, Part 4: The convergence of UX and performance marketing
Search News From Around The Web:
- Google reportedly evaded SEK 1 billion in Swedish taxes last year – using its Irish subsidiary, Business Insider
- Matt Cutts Still Offering Webmasters SEO Help, Search Engine Roundtable
Local & Maps
- New Street Fight Report: Selling to Local Merchants, Street Fight
- Think Tank: Boosting In-Store Traffic With Local Search Tactics, WWD
- Submitting Disavow File Not a Spam Signal to Google, The SEM Post
- Answer: Milking the milk topic…, SearchReSearch
- 5 Tips For Winning At Voice Search & SEO, Search Engine People
- A Mobile-First Google with Google’s Gary Illyes [PODCAST], Search Engine Journal
- Google Can Now Crawl Couple Hundred Megabytes Per Page, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Hints At Data Changes In New Google Search Console, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Quality Raters Review Algorithms, Not The Individual Web Sites, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google’s SEO Starter Guide From 2010 Still Relevant, Search Engine Roundtable
- How Machine Learning Is Changing SEO & How to Adapt, Search Engine Journal
- SEO Success: Aimclear CTO Joe Warner on SERPs, Algorithms, Backlinks and Staying One Step Ahead, aimClear Blog
- Use Rel-Canonical to Match Identical Pages Across Multiple Sites, The SEM Post
- We Eliminated 84 Low Quality Posts: Here’s What Happened, Seer Interactive
SEM / Paid Search
- Google AdWords and YouTube Advertising Explained, imprezziomarketing.com
- How to use AdWords Channels to Bolster Your Buying Funnel, Brad Geddes
- Seeing Diminishing Returns in AdWords? Here Are 5 Advanced Optimization Tactics, unbounce.com