Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google adds new knowledge panel to provide information about news publishers
Nov 7, 2017 by Barry Schwartz
In an effort to combat fake news and equip searchers with more data about news sources, Google has released a new publisher knowledge graph.
- Survey: 79 percent of consumers believe they’ve seen fake local reviews
Nov 8, 2017 by Greg Sterling
Almost 75 percent also said they had been asked to leave a review.
- Google changes info command search operator, dropping useful links
Nov 8, 2017 by Barry Schwartz
The info search operator is the latest Google search feature to have changed, possibly for the worse.
- Has AI changed the SEO industry for better or worse?
Nov 8, 2017 by Jayson DeMers
Columnist Jayson DeMers explores the impact of Google’s shift toward machine learning and discusses what the future will look like for search professionals.
- Local SEO: Driving customer actions for enterprise-level brands
Nov 8, 2017 by Thomas Stern
Multilocation businesses face some unique challenges in today’s local search landscape, but columnist Thomas Stern believes they can succeed by finding the right balance between centralized data management and localized content production.
- 5 surprising paid-search insights to help you win the holidays
Nov 8, 2017 by Christi Olson
The holiday season is crucial to many paid search advertisers, so how can you make the most of it? Columnist Christi Olson shares some insights and tips to improve your paid search performance.
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Instagram removes 24-hour recency requirement for photos, videos posted to Stories
- Why real human users are the key to the best links for you
- The subtle ways advertisers target audiences — and why they shouldn’t
- Taking in the moments: How holiday shopping can help retailers reshape their personalization strategies
- Twitter opens up $99 a month subscription ad program to more accounts
- An inside look at Wayfair and the new roles of brands and retailers
- youXtools launches a user testing platform with AI-powered visual analytics
- Northwestern Mutual’s first ever CMO is focused on creating a data-driven marketing strategy
- Twitter officially enables 280-character limit for all accounts, including brands
Search News From Around The Web:
- Ten principles of good SEO, Pedro Dias
- Answer: How many people die each year in the US?, SearchReSearch
- Google Lets You Compare Stocks In Web Search, Search Engine Roundtable
- How To Better Organize Shopping Campaigns – Part 2, PPC Hero
- Local Search Optimization: The Opportunity, and How to Compete, BrightEdge SEO Blog
- Outbound links metrics give valuable insights, Majestic Blog
About The Author
Barry Schwartz Barry Schwartz is Search Engine Land's News Editor and owns RustyBrick, a NY based web consulting firm. He also runs Search Engine Roundtable, a popular search blog on very advanced SEM topics. Barry can be followed on social media at @rustybrick, +BarrySchwartz and Facebook. For more background information on Barry, see his full bio and disclosures, click over here.