Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- New, unconfirmed Google ranking update ‘Fred’ shakes the SEO world
Mar 9, 2017 by Barry Schwartz
The webmaster and SEO community, along with the automated Google tracking tools, all show strong signs that there was a Google algorithm ranking update.
- Google adds emoji & GIF suggestions, translations & more to GBoard for Android
Mar 9, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
The latest updates give Android users access to emoji and GIF suggestions as they type and the ability to share GIFs in supported apps.
- Should PPC agencies be scared of automation?
Mar 9, 2017 by Anna Shirley
Paid search professionals might be nervous about losing their jobs to automation, but columnist Anna Shirley makes the case that PPC automation may actually benefit them.
- 10 ways to improve your business locators
Mar 9, 2017 by Adam Dorfman
Multilocation businesses often have store locators, but many aren’t making the most of them. Columnist Adam Dorfman suggests ways to optimize your locator to provide a better user experience and increase conversions.
- Mobile page speed is important, but not (yet) for SEO
Mar 9, 2017 by Bryson Meunier
Columnist Bryson Meunier suggests that mobile page speed, while good for conversions and customer retention, might not be doing much for your mobile search rankings.
- Big changes are coming to local marketing. Are you ready for them?
Mar 8, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
If you manage marketing or search for a multi-location brand, you already know the game-changing potential of local search. But just when you think you’ve got everything figured out, the rules change. The local marketing industry has been overly focused on listings management, and today it’s primed for a rapid evolution. In 2017, local search […]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- WebMD’s new Alexa health skill should go to pharmacy school
- Facebook Messenger copies Facebook’s copy of Instagram’s copy of Snapchat Stories
- A technical argument for quality content
- Why email is taking center stage in marketing innovation
- A healthier, happier social presence: Tips for health care marketers in 2017
- Optimizely expands its experimentation platform to OTT TV
- Video: See how Facebook inserts mid-roll ads in non-live videos
- 6 steps to creating high-converting native ads
Search News From Around The Web:
Local & Maps
- Descartes Labs imagery search engine, Google Earth Blog
- Moderation for Edits on Google Maps Finally Comes to Desktop, Sterling Sky Inc
- A Content Exercise: Using Link Building Prospecting for Content Brainstorming, iPullRank
- Google Defends Publishers Who Don’t Want To Link Out, Search Engine Roundtable
- Internal Links to About Us, Contact Us & TOS Pages for SEO, The SEM Post
- Baidu’s Deep Voice can quickly synthesize realistic human speech, engadget.com
- Google Says Keywords In URLs Are An Overrated SEO Factor, Search Engine Roundtable
- How Accurately Can You Predict the Results of an SEO Campaign?, Search Engine Guide
- Metadata and SEO part 2: link rel metadata, Yoast
- Reducing Category & Faceted Navigation Clutter, Alan Bleiweiss Consulting
- Should Google Penalize Sites That Auto-Play Video Ads?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Your Daily SEO Fix: The Keyword Research Edition, Moz
SEM / Paid Search
- AdWords Text Ads Changing to Responsive Ads on GDN, PPC Hero
- Google Wants to Create Text Ads for you and Boost Traffic, vertical-leap.uk
- PPC Excel Formulas Tips Tricks AdWords, metrictheory.com
- Using Calculated Metrics to Boost Your Reporting Capabilities, periscopix.co.uk